Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Up Early

Woke up at four. Thought I'd get some work done.

Pad pad pad down the stairs.
PAD PAD PAD, the dog follows.
padpadpad the kitten follows.

Quietly quietly I build and light the fire.

Dog nuzzles at me, big-eyed, begging.
OK.

Putting kitten to one side, I carefully open the front door. Maneuver dog into place for quick exit. Kitten attains subatomic simultaneity and gets out. Catch kitten in front yard by scattered light of the stars. Return. Put kitten on kitchen table. Retrieve dog. In major feat of dexterity, get dog out the door before kitten makes it to the doormat.
Take dog for quick walk.
In the sky, bright stars spin in the blackness. Find north star.
Yup. Still in place. All is well with the universe.

Return.
D.H. is at bottom of the stairs.
Hugs me. Are you okay? What's the matter? Why are you up? Are you sure you're okay?
Husband, protector of household.

Kitten, in my absence, has used the front hall as an echo chamber for major operatic performance announcing heartrending abandonment of felines in the household.

D.H., since he's up, decides he will put in some work on a report he's writing.
Wanders around the house, humming. the. same. song. through. his. teeth. over. and. over.

It is now five o'clock. Someone down the road is up and going to work.
He drives by, a pair of lights and the shadow of a car.
Who? I wonder.
Where does he work? I wonder.
Does he have a coffee mug on his dashboard? I wonder.

D.H., pleased to be so productive, drops by to tell me erudite things about North Korea.
Then. he. wanders. off. humming. the. same. song. through. his. teeth. over. and. over.

D.H. returns to ask where I have put the peppermint tea.
'On the counter,' I say.


It is 5:13.
He. wanders. off. humming.

I decide to go back to bed.
PAD PAD PAD, the dog follows.
padpadpad the kitten follows.
I fall instantly into a dreamless slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment