Saturday, April 17, 2021

Turn and Live With the Anmals

I'm drinking a cup of coffee before dawn and listening to my recently-booted furnace wheeze into life. 

When I get up in these transition days of spring and crawl out from under the warm covers of my bed and find myself shivering, sometimes I go close the window and turn on the furnace. 

Right now I'm thinking about that one small choice. First choice of the day.

It's not that I mind shivering as a matter of principle. There's no moral imperative to stay at 70° plus or minus 4. Discomfort usefully reminds us we're living beings, not enameled birds sitting on a golden bough.

hank greely

Speaking as a responsible citizen of the commonwealth of the world, it makes a lot more sense to put on a sweater and warm up the 1.76 cubic feet (on average) of a human body than to heat the 17,000 cubic feet of the main floor and basement of a house. 

I like leaving the windows open because it makes me feel part of the natural world, at least that world as expressed by this well-groomed and almost-painfully-cozy small town neighborhood.
It's not precisely "Nature is red in tooth and claw" here -- unless you count the battle of the political yard signage -- but there's sky and bird song and green stuff growing. I can close my eyes and feel a little connected to the oncoming dawn.


I heat the place for the dog. 

She's getting old. She sleeps most of the time now, sitting on the sofa, tucked up close to me. The fur of her muzzle is white. When I take her to the dog park, she mostly sits and watches the other dogs chasing back and forth. When the house cools down over the night she curls up close and circular on her dog bed. 

I turn on the heat because I want to keep her warm.
Taking care of the dog is also part of the natural world.
Humans have been doing this a long time. 

Shepherdess me, six thousand years ago, would have crunched through the new snow to check out the spring lambs in the early dawn after a chilly night. My dog would be at my heels,or leading me to any particularly vulnerable creature who'd had problems in the dark hours.

When we sat down to share breakfast I'd check her paws and pick cockleburs out of her fur. Scratch her back and fluff her fur and comb her with my fingers. Talk to her as the sun comes up.

So this morning, that was how I communed with the Natural World even in my muffled-up, still and quiet, house.
Me and the dog, man. Me and the dog.

12 comments:

  1. Debbe Smith8:33 AM

    I also commune with nature through my dogs, past and present. Well the present addition makes it hard to be peaceful and contemplative for long stretches but we`ll get there. I pass places of worship on our walks and sometimes feel the departing parishioners think I`m a heathen. But then I think, I`m out in Mother Natures world soaking it all up, even if my thoughts are often not reverent or profound.
    I look after my dogs and they look after me. We`re down to one new boy now but he`ll get there in the end. It`s the natural chain of events. Is here anything better than a furry head in your lap (I`d add a question mark there but it`s playing with me right and giving me É, so just pretend it`s there)
    Not sure what all this ramble says but I found your blog so that`s something! It`s good to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get back to simple things
      in the hope that will bring me closer to a creative frame of mind.

      Simple stuff: Dogs, hummingbirds, wildflowers, grape nuts for breakfast ...

      Delete
  2. My dogs are my constant companions. I have a couple of senior guys for whom I keep a space heater on a great deal. They have their bed and pile of blankets in close proximity to it and curl up together on cold mornings. At night they sleep with me which means I don't have to run the heat on even the coldest nights. I love sitting on the deck with them in the morning whilst I enjoy my first cup of tea and they move about in search of the sunniest spot to rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog,and my cat too, follow the sun across my living room rug or across my kitchen floor.

      They'll be sprawled out sleeping, the sun will leave them, and they get up sleepily and move till they're in the light again.

      I wouldn't e surprised if they have a mental map of the path the sun takes.

      Delete
  3. Oh, look--I can open a comment box now! Nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may not have solved the problem.
      I have maybe just changed it some.
      We shall see.

      Delete
  4. I finally managed to get in and am able to tell you how much I enjoyed sharing the porch with you and your dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if posts on my blog are going to be a reasonable outlet for the writing. This technological stuff is certainly not nourishing to the soul ...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pic of your beloved. Love her grey muzzle. And your word picture of her on the sidelines at the park, watching the younger ones play.
    Very familiar, although, in our case, our dog is physically agile, but somewhat confused and very forgetful. She is a smallish 15 year old rescue dog called Slipper (because she reminded us of Uggboots when we first got her) who has cataracts, diminished hearing and sense of smell, with few teeth (after very expensive extractions) but a face and coat so pretty that we are still stopped on walks as strangers ooh and aah about her.
    She no longer protects our yards from neighbouring cats, so the native birds we feed are now at peril. We also have a number of wallabies living under in our back yard (refugees from nearby bush land) and they watch her walk past them, totally unaware of them munching our grass and wrecking my herb/vegetable/fruit gardens.
    I swore that it would never happen, but I now let Slipper sleep on our bed, just because she wants to be close to us in the middle of the night. And, last night, I even found myself putting on the electric blanket for her - it’s nearing Winter where we live.
    I can’t bear to think of her dying, but of course it’s inevitable - and likely within the next 12 months. I think I will need therapy - even though I have grandchildren to cosset and adore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cat is kinda the other side of the natural world. Tearing the couch apart in the day and walking over me in bed at night are the other side of a comfortable reality.

    Freya, goddess of love and war,rode in a chariot drawn by two tom cats. I like that about her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People have been hanging out with dogs for six thousand years. It's obviously natural to both species.

    They'll likely find a section of Chromosome 17 that specifically deals with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite chromosome. :D

    ReplyDelete